June 15, 2008

53 degrees, are you kiddding?

Scotty happy to be on vacation.

Sonoma State Rocks!



Us in front of the map of the Rogue River.

















The moment school ended for Scotty, was also the moment we hit the airport for our trip to Galice, Oregon to go white water rafting. Scotty has been bugging me for years to go on this trip, and so I told him if he were to do all the research and find a great place, I'll go. So he did, and I did. I must say I was very un-interested in this journey through the Rogue River of Oregon. But by the end, I was missing the river and the peaceful quiteness that we enjoyed. We rafted about 40 miles on the Rogue River, starting Sunday morning and ending Tuesday afternoon. Every night we stayed in a different lodge, that was only accessible by boat. (Staying in a cabin each night was the only way he got me to go....we had hot showers and beds!) The lodges had hot dinners for us and hot breakfasts for us too. It was wonderful. The river was definitely an experience. You bundle up to keep from the cold (the water was 53 degrees, by the way) and the guides go over how it all works. I thought we would be paddling for 8 hours a day, but what we found was that we just coast for about 95% of the time, while the guides paddle for us! Then we have about 10 seconds of rapids, ranging from class 1 to 4, and then we coast again. It was wonderfully peaceful. We got to look around at the beautiful scenery and we spotted about 8 bald eagles, tons of deer, ducks and their lil babies, and most of all, no bears. I was sad. So we had a wonderful time on the river, and really missed it all when we were done on Tuesday.



This is when they told me I had to sit in the front of the boat. (I was deeply scared of falling out, as the water was a chilly 53 degrees)
























LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...