August 15, 2010

End of Summer

It had to happen eventually.  The end of summer, which happens to coincide with the end of my maternavacation.  I am back to work tomorrow, and Scotty is back on Tuesday.  We have done remarkably well, the past 3 months, being TOGETHER EVERY SECOND OF EVERY DAY.  We normally don’t spend this much time together, but were somewhat obligated too since I gave birth to another set of anxiety for me, this past June.  We came out of it with only a few arguments, and I think now, we both may become drinkers. 

I had grand plans since I popped out the baby that I was going to work out EVERY DAY!  I was so disgusted by my eating habits over my 39 weeks of bloating, that I was so convinced that this mama needed to tone up.  After deciding that sleeping is infinitely more important than working out, and the excuse that the sun is way too damaging for my fine, young, 30 year old skin, I ended up the entire summer indoors complaining about the heat like I was still pregnant.  I pulled out the Wii Fit and decided working out inside will do the trick.  It’s been 16 days since the last time I turned it on, and I’m not proud.  You know, bad back, crabby babies, Tivo programs to watch.  Not overly excited about the insults my Wii Trainer will be giving me when it gets turned on again.

Since it was the “end of summer” at our house, we decided to go out with a bang. You know, the bang that is so big that you realize that working is so much better than staying home with babies.  And I’ll tell you, we did it up big.  Scotty and I became a bit selfish yesterday, and decided that we wanted to go party like rockstars, well, old married people with two babies, but anyway, we drove to Rohnert Park to visit with the Carey’s and see all of Scotty’s fraternity brothers and families at the annual summer BBQ.  After much thought, we decided to make it just a day trip, because you know, spending 8 hours in a carseat for the babies is so much better if you do it all in one day, rather than two.  Then the smartest man I know decided that we should get up at 3 am and drive to Novato, stay there for a few hours, then go to Rohnert Park, party it up, then leave by 4 pm to drive home.  Sounded like the plan of plans to me…

Jared has always been good in his carseat.  Loves the car.  Loves going anywhere besides being in our house.  As we got up at 3 am and put him in the car, he thought it was the BEST GAME EVER and couldn’t stop giggling and laughing and telling us all about it for a good hour into the drive.  Then peace hit and he fell asleep for about 2 hours.  Peanut lasted until we got to our exit in Novato, then the last 5 minutes of our drive we endured screaming from a 2 month old.

We BBQ’d it up, took pictures, laughed, cried, (Jake, not me) and had a great time. 

DSCN2253

Jared did fantastic.  He had no nap, but you wouldn’t have even noticed.  (He NEVER misses a nap.  Never.  He is miserable if he can’t sleep.  But hey, let’s try it out, right?) He listened like he was God’s child, got to swim because he was so good, laughed and flirted with anyone he could. 

DSCN2246DSCN2248The drive home, we thought, easy, right?  The kid was so tired that he would sleep the entire time.  And guess what?

Jared sleepingSWEET!  Jared was asleep in the first 10 minutes of the drive.  Awesome.  Maybe this was the ticket.  This whole 3 am insanity that we had endured really worked.

Then reality hit.  And I won’t post a picture of that, because it wasn’t pretty.  After too many stop signs making Jared flop forward, he kept crying then decided that it was too hard to sleep, so he decided that kicking, screaming, punching and crying was what needed to happen for 2 hours.  This mama worked her old gymnastics skills and crawled into the backseat and tried to console Jared.  Picture wrangling a pig that is strapped to a carseat.   Scotty was annoyed, mad, angry and exhausted, and I begged of him to stop somewhere so we can help the boy, and oh yeah, we still had peanut that wasn’t going to make it much longer and needed to eat.  I would like to give out a shout out to Safeway who had a baby bottle for $1.49 (with your club card) for this mama who left his other bottle at the BBQ.  Jared got out to stretch his legs and Jake ate a little.  Off we went back in the car with a lot happier child.  Although, this happier child was not sleepy.  He yelled and talked and kicked and laughed for the rest of the ride.  I gave him any foods that I could find in the car to muffle the noise.  Finally, he was okay and I thought we survived.  Then Peanut lost his mind and vomited all over himself.  There wasn’t enough gripe water to shut him up, and keep Daddy from crashing the car, so somehow, after Jared started crying hysterically because Peanut was crying hysterically, I somehow “shushed” Jake long enough to get him to fall asleep.  

I am not quite sure how we made it. Really.  We were secretly thinking about time warping.  How can we get home faster and with less headaches and just forget this drive?  We were counting the miles as Scotty was dodging cops on the road.  We got home, bathed both kids, fed them both and I sent Scotty to bed, with some aloe for his sunburn.  This mama needed some time in the hot tub and an 800 mg Motrin to regain some consciousness from our driving episode.  Burnt out.  That was my theme from yesterday, and guess what?  I still feel it today.  I am done being a mama right now.  Don’t want to listen to any child, don’t want to hold any child, really want to hire that Nanny I have been thinking of.  But work is in site.  That’s right, instead of listening to my toddler scream and yell, I get to listen to grown adults yell at me for their irresponsible overdraft fees that somehow the bank needs to pay for.  But that is a whole other post.  I almost think that reasoning with a toddler is a bit easier than those people.  But again, that’s another post. 

I think we are going to Grama’s this afternoon.  Grama can handle them.  Well, there isn’t a choice right now.  She NEEDS to handle them.  We need a break.

Happy Summer Everyone!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...