We ended up having a c-section for a few reasons. First off, I was 8 days overdue and had never had a contraction, and had not dialated past 1 centimeter for over 3 weeks. He also never dropped into the birth canal either, which was the main reason. On March 10th, when we went to the doctor, and we saw that Jared was in the same exact position he had been for weeks and weeks, the doc told us we had our choice whether we wanted to be induced, or go straight into a scheduled c-section. After grilling the doctor on his thoughts, we decided on the c-section. Although we were trying to go down the path of bringing Jared here with the least blood loss for me due to my sever anemia, we learned that having a c-section without already being in labor loses much less blood than it would after your uterus had been contracting for hours. Also, with my hurniated disc in my back, labor would have been more damaging for it. Also, with Jared floating up so high, the chances of him even coming out naturally were low, and the doctor would have put me through 20 hours of labor before they decided if he was decending enough to come out. So, with this information, Scott and I decided that Thursday (my doc was on call that day) would be the day we would meet our first child.
We were scheduled for an 8:30 am surgery and had to get to the hospital at 6 am. We live about 45 minutes away, so we were up at 4:30 am, took showers, packed our bags (mine was already done) kissed the cats and off we went. We had a great drive through South Lake Tahoe to the hospital and laughed and talked the entire time. We got to the hospital and got checked in to our room which we would be in until at least Sunday. I got my stuff all situated, got my IV started and Scotty and I sat, watched TV, took funny pictures of each other and just waited for the moment that they would escort me to the surgery room. I was brought in about 8:20 am, the anesteisologist quickly started my spinal, which made me numb from the top of my stomach down. That was the weirdest feeling, as I wanted so badly to wiggle my toes and when I couldn't I almost felt clausterphobic. I had to relax, but once I was laying down, and the drapes went up, I started crying histerically. The doctors cleaned my belly, and then when I heard them saying "skin check....testing, testing..." I panicked even more. They were checking to make sure I couldn't feel any pain. Scotty was just walking in while they started the incision. I was crying so much that all Scotty could do was talk to me in my ear telling me that I was doing great. He didn't watch Jared being born, nor did he get to cut the umbillical cord, but I dont think he really minded. He was my rock the whole time and really worked hard at keeping me calm.
Our son came into the world, sunny side up with a huge head of 14 1/2 inches. The doctor even had to use vaccum extraction to get his head out. The staff was amazed at how big his head was and told me that there was no way he was coming out the other way and that we made a good choice my doing a c-section. To pull the rest of his body out, they had to push so hard right under my rib cage, which pushed on my lungs so hard, that I couldn't breathe. I was panicking again because I couldn't breathe and the pressure that was getting put on my chest was almost unbearable. They quickly pulled him out and off he went into the warmer. I felt an immediate pressure relief as they went to sew me up. It was surreal to hear this little cry without seeing anything. I kept thinking how I couldn't believe what was happening. I really tried to suck it all in and remember every moment.
I kept asking if he was okay, and what color hair he had. My sister and I had dreams that Jared was blonde, and I was wondering if that was going to be true. It took a few minutes before they called Scotty over to the warmer. Once Jared was all checked out, they brought him to me for a quick 10 second glance, and I finished getting stitched up. I remember telling Scotty that I thought Jared was really cute and that it was okay to have another baby. I went to recovery for 1 hour before I was brought back into our room, to where I was really able to see our beautiful baby. Scotty's Mom and Dad had already been at the hosptial and were waiting for us in our room. The first thing I heard from Scotty's mom was, "I'm keeping him!" I got into bed and held our son for the first time. It was a wonderful experience, well until the numbness wore off! Scotty is a fantastic daddy and has jumped in with both feet. He is not scared of a thing and is already tossing the baby around like a pro. He is so excited to see him every morning and sad to leave him every evening. It is so wonderful to see how much Scotty melts when he sees him and holds him. We have a great life.
Scotty and I before going into surgery
Scotty getting into his scrubs
My first view of our son
Scotty with the doctors checking out Jared
Scotty holding Jared for the first time








1 comment:
I'm crying big happy tears right now! Sounds like the C-section was definitely a good decision! I hope I get to meet Jared this summer-and see you too of course!
Post a Comment